Skip navigation

Reform on the way for Emergency Services Levy

profile image
Amanda Cohn
NSW Greens MP
16 November 2023

The NSW Greens support the Government’s move to reform the Emergency Services Levy (ESL).

Taxes on insurance premiums and council rates make up a massive 85 percent of funding for emergency services, while the remaining 15 percent is contributed by the Government. For too long, the ESL has disproportionately affected people living in disaster-impacted areas, predominantly in regional and rural NSW. The Government has been effectively triple dipping into the pockets of those residents. They’ve had to pay local government rates and massive insurance premiums, all while continuing the clean up of their properties and towns. Many of them simultaneously serve as front-line emergency service volunteers.

Communities expect that the cost of emergency services should be shouldered by the NSW Government, not by already-overburdened residents around the state because of where they live, nor by local councils.

It’s encouraging to know the Government also sees this funding model as unfair and inefficient. The NSW Greens will be holding NSW Labor to account on properly engaging with the community to develop an emergency services funding model that is sustainable and equitable.

Read more about the news here.

profile image
Amanda Cohn
NSW Greens MP
16 November 2023
SHARE:

THE LATEST NEWS

UPDATED: Greens call for police out of Mardi Gras celebration

The Greens are continuing to call for the NSW Police Force to exclude itself from the 2024 Mardi Gras parade, as a sign of respect, deference, and commitment to change.

STATEMENT: More than apology needed from government and police on LGBTIQ+ hate crimes

Queer communities are reeling following the alleged murders of Luke Davies and Jesse Baird last week by a member of the NSW Police Force, using a police firearm.

“It should never cost the clinician to actually give a shit” inquiry hears

The final hearing for the mental health inquiry has heard that the current mental health care system is failing domestic and family violence survivors and how emergency departments are used as a catch all when there is nowhere else for people to go.

Greens call for State Government assistance for Mardi Gras to relocate Fair Day

Mardi Gras Fair Day will have to be relocated if it is to go ahead following the discovery of asbestos at Victoria Park. The Greens are calling for NSW Government assistance to support the event’s urgent relocation so that it can go ahead this weekend and to ensure that Mardi...