WORLD MENSTRUAL HYGIENE DAY 2023
- Half of Australians who menstruate find it difficult to buy period products.
- People in their 20s are most affected by period poverty.
- More than 1/3 of people who menstruate found that lack of access to period products massively impacted their health & wellbeing.
- Period poverty also includes an inability to afford menstrual pain management medication or treatment.
- The cost of living crisis has significantly exacerbated period poverty in Australia – particularly amongst the Gen Z population.
- Almost 6 in 10 Gen Z and Millennial women are finding it more difficult to pay for menstrual health products than they were before the current cost of living crisis. The figure for Gen Z alone is 64%.
- More than 1/5 of people who menstruate in Australia are forced to use toilet paper, socks or other improvised period products.